0333 577 8750 Head Office: The Barn, Coventry Road, Tamworth, B78 2DZ.

Birmingham City Council Introduce Selective License Scheme

The Council’s new selective license scheme is now effective. Landlords from the listed wards below, will need a license to let a property.

Do I need a selective licence?

The new selective licensing scheme covers 25 of Birmingham’s 69 wards.

Check your ward

Use our address checker to tell you if your property needs a selective licence:

Check my ward – the designated wards are:

• Acocks Green
• Alum Rock
• Aston
• Balsall Heath West
• Birchfield
• Bordesley Green
• Bordesley and Highgate
• Bournbrook and Selly Park
• Edgbaston
• Gravelly Hill
• Handsworth
• Heartlands
• Holyhead
• Ladywood
• Lozells
• North Edgbaston
• Small Heath
• Soho and Jewellery Quarter
• South Yardley
• Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath East
• Sparkhill
• Stockland Green
• Tyseley and Hay Mills
• Ward End
• Yardley West and Stechford

You will need some documents and other information before you apply for a licence:

• name and contact details of anyone with an interest in the property – this could include the owner, freeholder or mortgage company
• the date of birth of the person who will be the licence holder
• measurements of all the rooms in square metres along with their position in the property – for example, ground floor left, first floor front right
• the current electricity installation inspection and test certificate
• the most recent gas safety certificate (if applicable)
• a debit or credit card to pay the licence fee


A license can be applied for here:

Landlords who do not have a license could face unlimited fines.